Sophisticated Manor Wedding Inspiration
This past spring, Laura Olsen Events hosted the Cherish Workshop -- a two-day photography and styling intensive at Toronto's Graydon Manor featuring some of the wedding industry's most talented creatives. Today on Vale + Vine, I have the pleasure of sharing both images from, and insight courtesy of, Heidi Lau Photography, one of the workshop attendees and a Toronto-area fine art film photographer. Here's a taste of what Heidi experienced at the Cherish Workshop...
"Both days, we were treated to talks by industry professionals, many of whom were from Toronto. It was great to meet so many talented locals, and it means a lot to have a community at home that is so supportive of, and encouraging towards, the growth and success of each others' careers. Speakers included:
- Sara Russell from Wedding Sparrow who shared with us invaluable advice regarding marketing, social media and branding; she was so down to earth and approachable, so willing to share her advice and experience.
- Laura Olsen who went over the details in terms of styling and how she approaches each of her weddings. The thought and personal touches she incorporates is every photographer's dream.
- Reid Lambshead of When He Found Her who was there to guide and share his artistic approach to photography. We were all inspired by his work and generosity with his time, especially since his wife's due date was only days away!
- Becky De Oliveira of Blush and Bloom who not only crafted out-of-this-world floral creations, but was also on hand to show us how they should be photographed in order to benefit both the photographer and the florist.
- Tiffany Pratt, designer and stylist, who infused us with hope and inspiration. Her talk came from the heart as she encouraged us, reminded us to be ourselves, and gave us all a boost, no matter what stage we were at in our careers.
- Photographers and lab owners, Chris Bodnar and Tara McMullen of Caribou Lab who shared about shooting film and working with your lab. Chris really took the time to help me understand how to achieve the negatives I want and how the lab processes them.
Armed with all this knowledge and expert guidance, we were provided with multiple styled shoots featuring models and styling elements, and encouraged to set up our own vignettes--basically a beautiful playground for stylists and photographers. It was really great to be around so many other creatives, all of whom wanted to explore and experiment. I believe the experience helped bring a part of our community closer together, and by the end of the second day it was hard to say goodbye to everyone. I think we all left feeling inspired and motivated, though somewhat bittersweet about parting with newfound friends." -- Heidi Lau Photography
It's amazing what a group of talented, genuine creatives can achieve when they come together to exchange ideas and collaborate with one another. The more I connect with those involved within the fine art wedding industry around the world, the more I'm in awe of the sense of intentionality and authenticity consistently found at the core of this community. I can't emphasize enough what an honour it is to spread and share the aesthetic, the artistry, and the passion of fine art wedding vendors across Canada and beyond.
Credits // Photography - Heidi Lau Photography at the Cherish Workshop / Planning + Styling - Laura Olsen of Laura Olsen Events / Florals - Blush and Bloom Flower Studio / Paper Goods - All Things Lovely Paper Co. / Ribbons - Silk & Willow / Gowns - Catherine Langlois Bridal / Veils - Posh Veils / Jewelry - Hattitude Jewelry / Hair + Makeup - The Look Beauty / Suits - Gotstyle Menswear / Linens - Susan Murray International / Tabletop Rentals - Plate Occasions / Models / Venue - Graydon Hall Manor, Toronto, Canada / Models - Rekha Patel + Mike Mains / Film Lab - Caribou Film Lab //